Monday 9 January 2017

'Bloggers block' & how to overcome it

For the past couple of months i've had the dreaded 'bloggers block' and a a few times i've completely hit the wall when it's come to creative ideas and thinking of content to post.

So i've decided that in 2017 i'm going to teach myself how to break through dry patches in my blogging so that i can be a lot more active online and produce content more regularly.

For the past few hours i've been scouring the internet, searching for ways that other writers manage to beat 'bloggers block' and it made me think to myself; If i'm going to be teaching myself, why not help others as well? So that's pretty much why i'm writing this.

Tip 1: Change your blogging environment

Step away from the computer and get yourself outside!

A little less than  a week ago i came to the end of my blogging inspiration and was almost ready to call it quits. I got out the house for a couple of hours and then calmly came back to what i had been working on. I often find that when i change the environment i'm in, inspiration just comes naturally. One of my favourite things to do is to just go out, sit on a bench and people watch. Somewhere along the way the ideas start to flow.

Getting yourself away from your computer or phone can definitely be helpful, but also i've found that blogging in a new location is also beneficial. I like to write my posts from the comfort of room, but when i'm struggling the four walls surrounding me can often make me feel trapped. To solve this, i've taken the short trip downstairs and blogged from the kitchen or the dining room table, even tiny adjustments like that can make a world of difference!

Other places you could try are:

- A friends house
- Local cafes
- Libraries
- School, college or uni


Tip 2: Keep an idea journal

I have always been bad at keeping myself organised (not a great trait as a blogger i know) but it's just something that i always seem to let slip. So for 2017 i have stocked up on plenty of notepads and to-do lists so that i can keep my ideas and posts neatly in one place!

Idea journals are great, especially in the short term as they are amazing for those impulsive ideas that flow through my mind every day. I now carry one with me everywhere, for when i get ideas on the go. I find that it's very often when flicking through idea journals in this way that an idea leaps out at me. I've also noticed that some of my best posts come from old ideas that i never really fully developed because i wasn't keen on them at the time.

Writing ideas down in a journal might seem a bit old fashioned, especially seeing as though there is a little thing called 'notes' on your iphone, but i honestly find that being able to write things down and have it there, visually brings so much more creativity, especially if you're a doodler like me.


Tip 3: Read what other bloggers are saying

Okay so this one seems pretty simple and you're probably thinking 'well i already do this' but it's a little more in depth than just looking at the heading of a post written by another blogger.

1. Build on the work of others  

No, i'm not saying that you should copy what another blogger has written, because that is definitely not okay but when looking for inspiration i often look to see what other bloggers are writing about in my niche. What is it that they're learning and what are the hot topics of the moment? How could you add a fresh perspective on what they've written about?

2. Look for gaps in conversation

What are other bloggers in your niche not writing about? Look for gaps, don't always just follow on from what another blogger has written, read between the lines and see what it is that you think they've missed that could be of importance to your audience. Asking yourself this kind of question can take a little more thought and time, but it's a skill worth developing as it has the potential o set you apart from the other bloggers around you! You might also find yourself starting a whole new line of thought.

3. Look outside your niche

Sometimes it's when you look outside of your own niche that you see the developments that are happening elsewhere that the ideas jump out at you. Join a blogging community and surround yourself with a range of different niches- don't just limit yourself to reading bloggers in your own.


I hope this post has been of help to at least a few of you, let me know in the comments if there are different ways that you overcome 'bloggers block' because i'd love to hear them!

No comments: