Wednesday 27 September 2017

The Ramblings Of A Third Year: A Little Bit Of Everything

Happy Wednesday, we're finally mid week and i couldn't be more please about it!

So i've got a bit of a long one for you today, it's more for me though really. Do you ever just sit down at your laptop and not know what you're going to write about, you just know that you want to write something? My fingers are literally itching to get blog posts done, but the creativity and ideas just aren't there so i've kind of started thinking about my future (eeek scary i know).

I've been thinking a lot lately about what i want to do when i finish university in a little over 8 months and the one thing that is always in the back of my mind is travel. When I say travel, I don't mean the kind of travelling you'd do during a gap year, but the kind where you move quickly from city to city, embracing the culture and the people that make that place what it is. I want to experience new places and fully immerse myself in them. Tokyo is my dream destination. Whenever i think of Tokyo i always imagine myself sat in a super high up apartment writing features for some crazy exciting magazine, literally living the dream. But simultaneously, travelling and being away from home also scares the shit out of me. You see my dilemma?

Anyhow, while i gather my thoughts and attempt to figure out where my place is in this world i thought i'd share a piece of writing with you that was published in VIVID Magazine that you might have not read yet. The reason i even thought of sharing this is because it was during this time that i realised i want to visit more places and see new things. If you don't know what VIVID is then it's a travel magazine that i created last year with four other talented people. The issue covered a variety of topics however they were all based on the town of Camden. It was such a fun experience and taught me so much and it's something that i am really proud of. This particular feature is a travel diary that i wrote whilst visiting London back in April of this year.

I hope you enjoy it, let know what you think.

Have a wonderful rest of your day! x



Camden Travel Diary 14/04/2017

Camden town screams quirkiness. From elaborate graffiti, to stores covered in statues of angels and dragons. This area of London is without a doubt a real feast for the eyes. It buzzes with the voices of intrigued tourists who want to grab themselves a piece of iconic culture from the market stalls that gave Camden it’s name.


When I stepped off the tube I was greeted by a familiar sight that I can only describe using three words. Old, busy and beautiful. You can still feel the punk roots in the atmosphere and with Evil from The Needle sitting happily on the high street 30 years on, the strong 80’s vibe is almost impossible to ignore. The authenticity of the town continues through the live music scene, and as spring has started to make an appearance the canal banks are always teeming with eager visitors who have found the perfect spot to soak up the bitter but invigorating sun. I myself am a sucker for a pint, especially if it involves a view of historic scenery and having a cheeky cigarette or two.


When you’re a country girl born and bred there is no better place to escape to than the city. Hours pass by like minutes in the concrete jungle, side streets reveal hidden gems and quirky cafes lurk around every corner. It’s no wonder that the likes of Ronnie Corbett and Amy Winehouse decided that they wanted to call Camden ‘home’.  On the topic of the late singer, this was the first time that I had seen the bronze statue of her that is located in The Stables Market. It is honestly beautiful, the designers did an amazing job of making the memorial look life-like and true to size. Walking through the 200 year old stables reminded me why it is that I love Camden so much. The area is populated not only by colourful restaurants and stalls, but by the most amazing collection of huge bronze horse sculptures and wall friezes.


Fun fact: The first buildings were little more than one and a half storeys high. But with the development of the nearby railway, two and three storey brick buildings were built, leaving us with what is now, some of the best industrial stabling left in England.


Wandering about the markets usually comes to an abrupt end when the word ‘food’ is mentioned, but deciding where to grab lunch from is always the tricky part. The Grand Union bar has become somewhat of a stomping ground for me, I can only count on one hand the amount of times I’ve visited London and not stopped off at this effortlessly trendy boozer. Usually I’d make an appearance mid-evening, when the place is buzzing with people from all walks of life, however this time I enjoyed a bite to eat just before 1 o’clock and chilled out in the fashionable, relaxed diner. There really is just something about the place that makes me want to go back for more.


Also on my list of places to visit was the forever popular cronut stand. With it’s classic white and red bunting, rustic feel and shelves packed to almost bursting point with sugary goodness, I couldn’t fight the temptation to pick up a couple. If you’ve never had or heard of a cronut, it’s the hybrid of a doughnut and a croissant and I have never tasted anything like it before. After at least ten minutes of deliberation I eventually left the stand with a ‘Coffee Glazed’, ‘Stuffed Bavarian Cream’ and a ‘Dark Choc & Rasp’. Best decision ever, and I didn’t even mind that my already too tight skinny jeans were almost bursting at the seams afterwards.


Who doesn’t love a bit of people watching? I know that I do. From the colourful characters on the streets to the friendly faces behind the market stalls, everyone in Camden seems to emit this sense of community making you feel like you’re never on your own. After consuming one too many of my cronuts I grabbed a coffee, sat by the lock and just watched the world go by for a little bit. It’s easy to get overwhelmed in such a chaotic part of London so taking some time out to write in my diary and reflect on my trip was well needed and took me away from the hustle and bustle of what was about to be rush hour. I like to call between 5pm and 7pm ‘The human stampede’. It doesn’t matter where about in London you are between these times, you are just surrounded by almost zombie-like people headed for the underground after their day of making a living. It’s quite an extraordinary thing when you’re an outsider, but for them this is just a part of life.

It’s always sad leaving London because I’m never quite sure of when I’ll be back. What I am sure of though is the coach always seems quieter than on the way, maybe it’s because I’d adjusted myself to the buzz of the city, it’s almost eerie. The long trip back home is always perfect for flicking through the snaps taken throughout the day and I’ve got to admit it’s one of my favourite parts. Every photo is filled with colour, life and the culture that is deep within Camden Town. It’s one of those places that you have to experience for yourself and definitely a place to add to the bucket list if you haven’t been yet already. It’s somewhere that strangely makes you feel at home and connected to people you’ve never seen in your life. I think that’s one of the great joys of Camden, it has a huge sense of community and I don’t think that will ever disappear.

The images below are the final layout of the feature in VIVID Magazine. If you want to check out the full publication online the link is here: https://goo.gl/bCW6C1


No comments: